Posts Tagged ‘echinacea’
Whenever I get that rundown/scratchy-throat feeling, I immediately take a 1000-2000mg of Vitamin C in crystallized form. I keep it up until I feel good again!
Most of us are deficient in Vitamin D3. Get your D levels checked at your Doctor’s office or by taking part in the GrassrootsHealth Vitamin D Research Study. Most of us in the Northeast need to supplement at least 1000iu a day in the fall and winter to get to the recommended levels (40-60 ng/ml).
Echinacea and zinc
May also be helpful for your immune system. Experiment to see what supplements work best for you to keep your immune system functioning optimally.
Thursday, December 10th, 2009
This is the time of year for colds and flu… and amidst all the dire warnings out there this year I thought some basic tips for staying healthy would be helpful.
- Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer if you are unable to get to the sink.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands. One of the biggest ways that we infect ourselves is by transferring germs from our hands to our mouth, nose or eyes.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow instead of your hands to avoid spreading your germs to others.
- Use a neti pot or sinus irrigation tool to rinse your sinuses with warm salt water every day. Gargling with salt water is a good idea as well. Don’t give the germs a chance to stick!
- Get enough sleep! This varies by person, but generally 7-8 hours is recommended.
- Stay off the sugar! Sugar depresses your immune system.
- Supplements: Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, echinacea and zinc are all helpful for your immune system. Experiment to see what supplements work best for you to keep your immune system functioning optimally.